Prisoner of the Crown
by Cassie Clover
Genre: YA Fantasy
Cats over dogs. Chocolate over vanilla. Lime over lemon…gotta make decisions!
- I never planned to write a YA. I had 15k of this story done with adult characters and it refused to work…
- A friend of mine branched into YA at the same time and we both had our books releasing close together.
- I wasn’t sure what to do with the book (self pub or submit) then I found the perfect cover by Fiona Jayde’s.
- Nothing was changed about the cover…only the text for title/author/series was added…
- I made sure to hire an editor with YA experience to make sure I didn’t go off the rails with the new genre.
- I binged watched shows like the Fosters, Switched at Birth, and Pretty Little Liars to get my brain back into teen mode…
- The book poured out fast…I had hangover days when I couldn’t write because I’d written too much the day before.
- On the hangover days, I’d usually figure out an elusive piece of the plot.
- These princesses and royal court members aren’t your Disney type…they have a huge amount of responsibility.
- I explained the basic story concept to a friend… “Like Reign meets Game of Thrones…with a lot less sex and violence”
- Writing in first person is actually easier for me than any other pov.
- Book 2 is already plotting itself in my head…this world takes over my brain.
- I hate reality TV.
- When I finished edits, I went to the movies for a reward. Nothing like movie popcorn.
- I have a swag problem…love pens/ bags/ and useful goodies.
- The Cassie Clover logo is made by the cover designer. Love the little crown ☺
- One of the characters is named after a late super reader…I was already using the name when I found out the reader had passed away.
- I seriously planned on writing something else after the ya fantasy…see how it was reviewed before I did book 2. But the characters have other ideas.
- The land of the fairies started as a joke a character said but it turned into a real thing in the world…magic worlds are such fun!
- Genre hopping makes me feel a bit crazy. But the muse is in charge…
- Caffeine is my friend.
- I like strong female characters who are smart…not who need to be saved
- Love TV sitcoms and dramas…netflix is dangerous for me
- I love conferences and signings but I suck at travel…it stresses me out.
- I’m an introvert in real life…love my writing cave